Parent Teacher Organisation (PTO)
The Parent Teacher Organisation (PTO) at the American School of Yaoundé is exclusively for charitable and educational purposes. The PTO is a non-profit, non–political and non–sectarian organization made up of school staff and parents who work to support the school in a wide variety of ways.
- To follow the school's Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- To promote the welfare and education of children at ASOY.
- To raise funds for programs and equipment to further the education of the children.
- To join events and activities, promoting parent involvement.
- To build a closer relationship between the home and the school, parents and teachers may work cooperatively in the education of the children.
- To foster communication, cooperation, support, information, and education within the ASOY community.
It is not the role of the PTO to involve itself in:
- To interfere with the role of the Director and Admin team.
- To discuss the work or discipline of the Staff of the School.
- To discuss matters of curriculum or teaching content.
- Receiving and handling complaints from Parents or groups of Parents relating to School matters.
MEMBERSHIP OF PTO, QUALIFICATION
The formation of parents- teachers' Organisation is based on the following guidelines:
- Members can join the PTO if they have a student attending the American School of Yaoundé
- Such participation shall be non-political and non–religious.
- Any person who is a member of the teaching staff of the American School of Yaoundé
- For every class / Division there should be a representative of one parent.
The formation of Parents-Teacher's Organisation's Executive Committee would be as under:
GUIDELINES AND RULES OF CONDUCT
Members, will at all times, during its deliberation and actions should work with proper conduct and respect to one another and to the school.
Each member must attend general meetings unless a member has a sound reason that will hinder him/her. Meetings will occur during school hours.
The period of service in the PTO would be for one year.
The Members who wish to enrol themselves as PTO member should make sure that they will actively take part in all the events and activities as and when required.
The Treasurer will pass all money collected by The PTO to the School’s Business Manager who will keep an amount in the school safe. The Treasurer will prepare simple accounts and report to the PTO at each meeting. The Treasurer, in consultation with the PTO, may collect, invest and expend funds of the PTO as the organisation sees fit.
What can the PTO be involved in?
Possible suggestions for PTO:
- Fundraisers - Elementary Movie Night & Middle School Movie Night - Selling popcorn, hotdogs, Beefburgers & drinks
- Fundraisers - At other events - selling cakes/savoury items/ drinks
- Fundraiser - ASOY merchandise
- Events - Part of the Halloween, Valentines, Christmas Angel Drive, Maths week, Book Week, Assemblies.
- Communication - Monthly newsletter, website, and messages to the parent body.